This page provides publication and related web site references, citations and links. Also of potential interest are the bookmark and organization index pages. Can't find something here? Try out the Wiki Search function as it can be very useful.
- SEAMONSTER in the news
- TED Talks
- Some of the most compelling ideas we've found on the Internet, presented at a recurring conference in California and preserved at these web sites:
- Hans Rosling talks about global statistics, highly recommended.
- Bjorn Lomborg on the Copenhagen Concensus and prioritizing what to fix, also highly recommended.
- Bill Stone gets serious about getting Out There.
- Virtual Globes
- Google Earth
- Microsoft Virtual Earth
- Microsoft and Vexcel
- Environmental science and climate
- GLOBE Program Science education sponsored by the US government: http://www.globe.gov/fsl/html/templ.cgi?about
- Teachers Domain website: Lots of lessons, videos and images: http://www.teachersdomain.org
- River of Words, connecting students with their local environment: http://www.riverofwords.org/
- NOAA: Climate information for educators: http://www.education.noaa.gov/tclimate.html
- NOAA: More climate (main page): http://www.noaa.gov/climate.html
- National Public Radio / National Geographic: "Climate Connections": http://www.npr.org/climateconnections
- Spencer Weart's hypertext history of how scientists came to (partly) understand what people are doing to cause climate change: http://www.aip.org/history/climate/index.html
- A blog by several climate scientists: http://www.realclimate.org/
- Phun: Two-dimensional physics sandbox http://www.phunland.com/wiki/Home
- PhET: Physics Education Technology http://www.squ.edu.om/sci/phys/PhET2/new/teacher_ideas/browse.html
- More: http://falstad.com/mathphysics.html
Geology and Earth Science
- Jacobson and others. Earth system science from biogeochemical cycles to global changes. Elsevier Academic Press. 2000.
- Connor, Cathy, and Daniel O'Haire. Roadside Geology of Alaska, Mountain Press, (ISBN 0-87842-213-7), 1988.
- National Snow and Ice Data Center: datasets related to polar regions: http://nsidc.org/data/
- Alley, Richard and Sridhar Anandakrishnan. Variations in melt-layer frequency in the GISP2 ice core: implications for Holocene summer temperatures in central Greenland. Ann. Glaciol., 40(135):341-349, 1995.
- Anandakrishnan, Sridhar and Alley, R.B., Jacobel, R.W., and Conway, H., Ice stream C slowdown is not stabilizing West Antarctic ice sheet, Ant. Res. Ser., AGU, in press.
- Anandakrishnan, Sridhar, Autonomous seismic instrumentation in Antarctica, IEEE Software, in press.
- Anandakrishnan, Sridhar and Richard B. Alley. Tidal forcing of basal seismicity of ice stream C, West Antarctica, observed far inland. J. Geophys. Res., 102(B7):15183-15196, 1997.
- Anandakrishnan, Sridhar and Richard B. Alley. Ice stream C, Antarctica, sticky-spots detected by microearthquake monitoring. Ann. Glaciol., 20:183-186, 1994.
- Anandakrishnan, Sridhar and Joan J. Fitzpatrick, Richard B. Alley, Anthony J. Gow, and Debra A. Meese. Shear-wave detection of asymmetric c-axis fabrics in the GISP2 ice core. J. Glaciol., 40(136):491-496, 1994.
- Anandakrishnan, Sridhar and Charles R. Bentley. Microearthquakes beneath ice streams B & C, West Antarctica: Observations and implication. J. Glaciol., 39:455-462, 1993.
- Anandakrishnan, Sridhar and Richard B. Alley, and Edwin D. Waddington. Sensitivity of ice-divide position in greenland to climate change. Geophys. Res. Lett., 21(6):441-444, 1993.
- Anandakrishnan, Sridhar and Donald D. Blankenship, Richard B. Alley, and Charles R. Bentley. Density-depth profile determined by seismic-refraction studies: Ice stream B, West Antarctica. Ann. Glaciol., 11:198, 1988.
- Anandakrishnan, Sridhar and Donald D. Blankenship, and Charles R. Bentley. Microearthquake source locations and mechanisms: Ice stream B, West Antarctica. Ann. Glaciol., 11:198, 1988.
- Bindschadler, R., and Bamber, J.L., and Anandakrishnan, S., Onset of streaming flow in the Siple Coast region, West Antarctica, Ant. Res. Ser., AGU, in press.
- Fatland, D.R., and C.S. Lingle. 1998. Analysis of the 1993-95 Bering Glacier (Alaska) surge using differential SAR interferometry. J. Glaciol., 44(148), 532-546.
- Fatland, D.R., and C.S. Lingle. 2002. InSAR observations of the 1993-95 Bering Glacier (Alaska, U.S.A.) surge and a surge hypothesis. J. Glaciol., 48(162), 439-451.
- Fatland, D.R., C.S. Lingle, and M. Truffer. 2003. A surface motion survey of Black Rapids Glacier, Alaska, U.S.A. Annals of Glaciol., 36, 29-36.
- Lingle, C.S., and D.R. Fatland. 2003. Does englacial water storage drive temperate-glacier surges? Annals of Glaciol., 36, 14-20.
- Skidmore, M., S.P. Anderson, M. Sharp, J. Foght, and B.D. Lanoil, Comparison of Microbial Community Compositions of Two Subglacial Environments Reveals a Possible Role for Microbes in Chemical Weathering Processes, Appl Environ Microbiol. 2005 November; 71(11): 6986–6997.
- Swiss glacier education site Excellent variety of photographs and further information.
- Glacier photo archive at NSIDC (Boulder Colorado).
- Subglacial Antarctic Lake Environments See pulldowns at top, particularly Science.
- Juneau Icefield Research Program (JIRP).
- JIRP photographs (Juneau Icefield) by Paul Illsley.
Lemon Creek Watershed
- MG Marcus, FB Chambers, MM Miller, M Lang - Phys. Geogr, 1995,Recent trends in the Lemon Creek Glacier, Alaska, pdf
- Interfluve, Inc. 2004. Lemon Creek Watershed Geomorphic Assessment and Sediment Management Alternatives Analysis. Prepared for City and Borough of Juneau Engineering Department. Link to PDF
- Alaska Dept. of Environmental Conservation, 1995. TMDL for sediment and turbidity with consideration of habitat modification in the waters of Lemon Creek, Alaska. Lemon Creek TMDL (Adobe .pdf, 16.5 mb)
- U.S. Geological Survey, 2005. Hydrology, Geomorphology, and Flood Profiles of Lemon Creek, Juneau, Alaska. Scientific Investigations Report 2005-5186. U.S.G.S. Scientific Investigations Report #20055186 (Adobe .pdf, 6.9 mb)
- Walter, M.T., et al. 2003. Lemon Creek Natural Sediment Assessment. University of Alaska Southeast report to ADEC. full text (Adobe .pdf, 719 kb)
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game, 2004. Lemon Creek Baseline Aquatic Habitat Characterization. Prepared for the City and Borough of Juneau.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Alaska District. 1971. "Flood Plain Information, Lemon Creek, Juneau, Alaska," prepared for the Greater Juneau Borough.
- Joan Ramage's website describes Glacial Responses to Climate Change in Southeast Alaska.
- Matt Beedle has a glacial time website that highlights Ptarmigan and Lemon Glaciers.
- Mauri Pelto, Nichols College, shares JIRP Lemon Glacier Mass Balance 1953-2005.
- Websites and history
- The Juneau Icefield Research Program, headed by Maynard Miller at Univ. of Idaho, has historically conducted yearly, periodic research including mass balance and meteorological investigations on Lemon Glacier. Much of this work is well documented in JIRP white papers, but only a handful of research is published in peer-reviewed articles, listed below.
- Visit Scott McGee's JIRP website, The Crevasse Zone, for more JIRP Lemon Creek information.
- Data sources
- The U.S. Geological Survey has maintained two stations for discharge and water quality measurements on Lemon Creek periodically since 19??. The station currently operated by the USGS is located upstream, near the Ptarmigan Creek confluence Link to USGS Website: Station 15052000. Some data exist for an historic site just upstream of the Lemon Creek Correctional Facility Link to USGS Website: Station 15052009.</p>
- The University of Alaska Southeast Environmental Science Program has supported Lemon Creek research since 2001. Some of this student research was supported in part by an Alaska Dept. of Environmental Conservation Alaska Clean Water Actions Water Quality Grant. (See link to report in References section below). Both USGS Lemon Creek sites were occupied and instrumented with submersible pressure transducers, temperature sensors, and ISCO automated water samplers. Fifteen-minute discharge, water and air temperature, and daily suspended sediment data exist (though with record gaps) for a period of record from 2001 to 2004.
- Cheong, Elaine, and Judy Liebman, Jie Liu, and Feng Zhao, “TinyGALS: A Programming Model for Event-Driven Embedded Systems”, The 18th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC’03), Melbourne, FL, March, 2003, pp. 698-704.
- Delin, Kevin and others, "Environmental Studies with the Sensor Web: Principles and Practice", http://www.mdpi.net/sensors (ISSN 1424-8220), Sensors, 2005(5), 103--117.
- Hart, Jane K., Kirk Martinez, Royan Ong, Alistair Riddoch, Kathryn C. Rose, Paritosh Padhy. 2006. A wireless multi-sensor subglacial probe: design and preliminary results. J. Glaciol., 52(178), 389-397.
- Liu, Jie and Feng Zhao, "Towards Semantic Services for Sensor-Rich Information Systems, " The 2nd IEEE/CreateNet International Workshop on Broadband Advanced Sensor Networks (Basenets 2005), Boston, MA, Oct. 3, 2005.
- Liu, Jie and Maurice Chu, Juan Liu, James Reich, and Feng Zhao, “State-Centric Programming for Sensor-Actuator Network Systems.” IEEE Pervasive Computing, October, 2003, pp.50-62.
- Liu, Juan, Jie Liu, James Reich, Patrick Cheung, and Feng Zhao, “Distributed Group Management for Track Initiation and Maintenance in Target Localization Applications,” The 2nd International Workshop on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN’03), Palo Alto, CA, April 2003, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS 2634), Springer-Verlag Heidelberg, pp. 113-128.
- Whitehouse, Kamin, Feng Zhao, and Jie Liu, "Semantic Streams: A Framework for Composable Semantic Interpretation of Sensor Data." Proceedings of the 3rd European Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks (EWSN 2006), Zurich, Switzerland, February 13-15, 2006, pp. 5-20. (Also appeared as Microsoft Research Technical Report MSR-TR-2005-45, April 2005 and as ACM Sensys'05 Poster Abstract, November 2-4, 2005.)
- Zhao, Feng, Chris Bailey-Kellogg, Markus Fromherz, "Physics-based Encapsulation in Embedded Software for Distributed Sensing and Control Applications." Proceedings of the IEEE, 91(1):40-63, Jan. 2002.
- Zhao, Feng and Leonidas Guibas. Wireless Sensor Networks: An Information Processing Approach. Morgan Kaufmann (ISBN 1-55860-914-8), 2004.